13 January 2009

Praying for One Another

I don't use it enough, but every time I do use "A Pastor's Daily Prayer" from the old Pastor's Companion (same as in the back of The Lutheran Liturgy) I like its petitions for brethren in office and the Synod at large:

"To Thy grace and mercy I also commend all my brethren in office. Arrest and suppress all discord and dissention. Give me a brotherly heart towards all and true humility, and help me to bear with patience their casual weakness or deficiencies. Grant that they also may act as true brethren toward me. Keep and preserve our whole Synod, its teachers and officers, true to Thy Word. Cause the work of our Synod to grow. Guard and protect all members of Synod against sinful ambitions, dissension, and indifference in doctrine and practice. Bless all higher institutions of learning, our colleges, seminaries, and universities. Accompany all missionaries on their dangerous ways, and help them to perform their work. Gather the elect from all nations into Thy holy Christian Church, and bring them at last into Thy Church Triumphant in heaven."

+HRC